National Scientific Committee 20th Century Heritage Working Group
ICOMOS Ireland 20th Century Heritage Group is a multi-disciplinary group of people with a wide range of experience, both practical and academic, in the 20th century built environment, motivated by the believe that 20th century heritage in Ireland needs to be recognised and better understood.
The outline aims of ICOMOS Ireland 20th Century Heritage Group are:-
- To demonstrate the importance and value of retaining and conserving 20th century cultural heritage in Ireland;
- To support a culture of interest in 20th century built environment and raise awareness by public engagement;
- To extend recognition and protection to 20th century buildings and environments.
- To provide a network to share information about projects, publications and events relating to 20th century cultural heritage in Ireland.
Recent Activities and / or Programme of Work
In June 2018 a joint DoCoMoMo and ICOMOS Ireland ad hoc Group made a submission to the InnovConcrete research project following a request to identify the “100 of the 20th” century concrete structures in Europe. The submission consisted five significant 20th Century concrete-based cultural heritage in Ireland, that represented a diversity of time period, construction system and typology (housing, industrial, commercial, public and private). It included iconic architecture as well as great civic projects and infrastructure projects, that the Group felt expressed the full richness and a broad range of social, aesthetic, technical 20th century concrete cultural heritage.
The projects submitted were:-
- Ardnacrusha Power Station;
- Berkerley Library, Trinity College;
- Church of Christ the King, Cork;
- Donnybrook Bus Station;
- US Embassy, Dublin;
A seminar was hosted by ICOMOS Ireland in September 2018 entitled Does Ireland have a 20th Century Concrete –based Cultural Heritage? Gunny Harboe, FAIA – President ICOMOS ISC20C gave a brief introduction to the InnovaConcrete project and members of the ad hoc Group presented each of the projects submitted.
Ardnacrusha, the Berkerley Library and US Embassy were selected and Busaras and the UCD Water Tower were added. https://100of20.innovaconcrete.eu/monument-search
All of the ad hoc Group joined the newly convened 20th Century Heritage Work Group in September 2019.
- Specific Publications (Please provide PDF’s or links)
- Links to external / other relevant sources https://www.innovaconcrete.eu/